springtime decorations (and edibles) liven the scenery, but also pose a
potential hazard to pets. Who knew that plastic Easter grass could be dangerous,
Spring is a great time to take an inventory of potential pet hazards. It's
better than the alternative of spending time at the veterinary hospital. Here is
are a few Quick Tips on what to watch for this spring.
Easter Lily (and
related Lily plants): The Easter Lily is a common finding this time of year.
This plant, and related plants in the lily family, are highly toxic to cats if ingested.
The first signs seen are vomiting and lethargy, and if untreated, may
progress to kidney (renal) failure and death. Please call your veterinarian
immediately if you suspect that your cat has eaten any part of a lily plant.
Another spring flower often used in cut flower arrangements, daffodils, are
also toxic to cats.
Learn more: Lily toxicityEaster grass: Cats
love anything that moves. This stuff moves easily in the breeze, makes
interesting sounds, and, for some cats, it is simply irresistible and must be
eaten. Stringy things like Easter grass or tinsel at Christmas, pose a deadly
threat if ingested, creating something called a Linear Foreign Body. The first signs seen, aside from
the material being visible from the mouth or anus, are vomiting or straining to
defecate and a painful abdomen.
Trying to pull out visible grass or string is not recommended, as
this can cause more damage if the piece is long and trapped far inside the body.
Call your veterinarian if you suspect that your cat has sampled the Easter
grass. While Linear Foreign Bodies are more common in cats, dogs may also ingest
non-food material, and the same rules apply.
Chocolate: This is more
of a dog hazard, as many dogs have a sweet tooth, a great nose, and the
determination to find chocolate -- hidden or not. The toxic components in
chocolate are theobromine and caffeine, and the level of toxicity is
based on the type and quantity of chocolate consumed.
Different types of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine and
caffiene; dark chocolate contains the highest concentrations and white
"chocolate" contains the least. Early clinical signs are vomiting, diarrhea and
Related Reading: All About Chocolate Toxicity
Xylitol: It is important to note that xylitol, an artificial sweetener used in many
candies, chewing gums and baked goods, is potentially very toxic to dogs and